Scrap Car & Metal Payments
You will need
- A bank account
- Visa debit card - although SWM can offer cheques for payment
- V5 (if you are scrapping a car)
Identification, which can either be:
- A photo card driver’s licence
- A passport accompanied by a proof of address no older than three months old (such as a utility bill or bank statement)
The Swipe and Sign system
- After you have unloaded your materials approach the weighbridge for payment, you will need your photo ID, proof of address and your Visa debit card to hand
- If you do not have a Visa debit card, you will be paid by cheque, see below for how this works
- If you have a Visa debit card then the weighbridge operator will begin the transaction using the card machine
- The process will follow a similar process to when you are purchasing goods in a shop
- A white card will also be swiped, this is the SWM operators' card and part of the authorisation process
- The operator will complete the transaction, crediting your bank account
- A receipt will be given to you for you to sign
- You will NOT be asked to enter your pin code
- Your signature will be checked against your Visa debit card
- You will then be given a receipt, your invoice and your debit card
- SWM will retain your signed receipt, a copy of the invoice and link your transaction to the material you brought in
- Your payment will be in your bank account within 2 - 3 days
- If the transaction is greater than £5,000, for security reasons, the weighbridge operator will have to break your transaction up over multiple payments. Or you can set up an SWM account and get paid by BACS.
- SWM will not retain your bank card details.
- If you do not have a Visa debit card, or your card transaction fails, SWM will write you a cheque.
Paying by cheque
- The weighbridge operator will produce a cheque for the relevant amount.
- For transactions above £500, the cheque will have to be signed by a Director; otherwise the Depot Manager will be able to sign your cheque.
- The cheque number will be entered into our systems to link the transaction with the receipt of material.
- A copy of the cheque will be taken and saved by SWM. This is a legal requirement of the cashless system.
- You will then be handed the original cheque along with your Invoice
Confused by the cashless system? Our frequently asked questions may help.
Q: Will I still get the best price for my scrap metal?
Yes, you will still be offered the best prices for your scrap metal.
Q: I don’t have a Visa debit card, how do I get paid?
SWM will pay you by cheque, if you do not have a Visa debit card.
Q: What if my card does not work in your machine?
SWM will pay you by cheque, if your card fails to work in our machine.
Q: Why do you only accept Visa debit card?
Visa debit cards are used by 96% of the UK population. Our initial solution to cashless trading covers this percentage. We are now working to find a solution which covers all types of debit cards.
Q: How long until the money is in my bank account?
Standard clearance is 2-3 days for business transfers of money via BACS, Debit Cards and Cheques. There is no alternative to this wait. Please be assured that SWM, is a long standing local company and you will be paid you for your scrap.
Q: Why should I become a SWM account customer?
By setting up an account with SWM, you get the following benefits:
- A more professional relationship with SWM
- Payment is completed via the BACS system; there is no requirement for Debit Card or Cheque
- By setting up a formal relationship, the requirements for identification are less onerous
- Quicker time at the weighbridge due to reduced ID checks
- There is no charge on a BACS transaction
Q: Do I have to become a SWM account customer to get paid?
No, you don't need to be a SWM account customer to get paid, we will pay all customers via swipe and sign or cheque.
Q: If I become an SWM account customer, will I have to pay VAT?
There are options to have a Non-VAT account or a VAT account.
Q: I thought operation Tornado only applied to payments in cash. Why is SWM still requiring identification?
The Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishing of Offenders Act, 2012 requires that the buyer of scrap metal identifies the seller. Whilst this does not specifically require photographic proof of ID, the Scrap Metal Dealers Act released in Spring 2013 requires similar measures to Operation Tornado for casual customers. For customers who are prepared to set-up an account with SWM, the same level of ID will not be necessary.
Q: My local Vehicle Dismantlers is still paying cash for cars, can I take my scrap metal there?
Vehicle Dismantlers are able to pay cash for vehicles which they intend to dismantle for parts. However these companies are not legally allowed to trade in scrap metal, for cash. They will be breaking the law if they pay you for your scrap metal.
Q: What will you do with my personal information?
SWM will only take your personal information which is required by law, or the technical complexities of the transaction. Any information we do retain, will be securely treated in line with the Data Protection Act. SWM will not sell your information to any third party.